Above my identity as a woman of color (Jamaican/Puerto Rican/Scottish/African/French), and a daughter of 2 deaf parents, I am a child of God. He has transformed my heart and my life.
My heart grieved for the loss of George Floyd at the hands of an unrighteous man (and his coworkers) who should not have been police officers. And I am saddened about the drastic increase of shootings and murders in cities across America. The effects of sin and rebellion against God and man are being exposed. Every life has value. Every murder is heartbreaking.
I know with all of my heart Jesus Christ has the answer. Jesus Christ IS the answer. Only Jesus Christ can change a man?s heart from a heart of stone to a heart of flesh. He gives beauty for ashes and joy for mourning. His Power can do what no man can do. For He is our Creator, and He’s created each one of us with a purpose, good things prepared beforehand for us to walk in.
Therefore my heart and thoughts have been reaching up to the Lord to ask:
- “How should I respond? Lord, show me the truth so I can rise above the conflicting narratives of the world.
- “Lord, help me to trust in You and lean not on my own understanding.”
I invite you to join me in lifting up these 7 prayers that every person of color would prosper and enjoy peace in the loving arms of God.
Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior, therefore He has the authority and the wisdom to lead me.
Through our Holy Scriptures we have been warned:
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.John 10:10 New King James Version (NKJ)
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.Ephesians 6:12 King James Version (KJV)
?Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?? Jesus replied: ??Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.? This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ?Love your neighbor as yourself.? All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.?Matthew 22:36-40 New International Version (NIV)
And so as I prayed, I felt the Lord give me seven points of prayer to herald, and a hashtag, #Iammybrotherskeeper . Let me encourage you to join me in intercession for not only people of color, but for all mankind.
7 Prayers for the African American community
- Pray for the protection of our brothers and sisters of color, from the schemes of satan. Suggested scripture reading: Psalm 91, Ephesians 6:10-18
- Pray for love to abound towards and through our brothers and sisters of color. Suggested scripture reading: 1Thess3:12
- Pray that our brothers and sisters of color would walk in the fullness of their callings as kings and priests to our Lord God, and fulfill all the good works they have been created for by Christ Jesus. Suggested scripture reading: Ephesians 4, Ephesians 2:10, Colossians 1:9-13
- Pray for their eyes to be set on holiness, for godly media to abound, and wisdom to turn away from deceit. Suggested scripture reading: Colossians 3:16
- Pray for the peace that surpasses all understanding to be their portion. Suggested scripture reading: Philippians 4:4-9
- Pray for salvation, revival of every unbeliever?s heart, and the Holy Spirit to be poured out upon every person of color. Suggested scripture reading: Acts 2:38-47
- Pray that godly marriages would abound, that the hearts of the fathers would be toward the hearts of their children – and children to their fathers, and future generations would be rescued from death and raised in the love of Christ. Suggested scripture reading: Malachi 4:6, Psalm 128
Beloved, we all need Jesus. Only He can bring healing to broken hearts, and only He has the words of eternal life. (John 6:60-71)
Jesus said to them, ?I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.John 6:35-40 ESV
But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe.
All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.
For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me.
And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day.
For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.?
May His peace be your portion as you join me in prayer that all would be saved from the deceitful schemes of the enemy, and the righteous judgement of God by receiving Jesus Christ as their Messiah.
In Jesus? mighty Name. Amen.