One sure way to find peace in Christ on this journey of life is by being rooted and grounded in His Word. The words of God are the words of life. In this blog post, we’ll look closer at Psalm one to find comfort for your soul. Not empty comfort, but spiritual truths that are powerful and able to anchor your life in a world that is like shifting sand.
Although lies and sin seem to be rising around every corner and it seems those who are prosperous don’t care about, or even blatantly oppose God’s teachings, there is a deeper truth to be found within Psalm One.
If you are a believer in Christ, there are supernatural blessings being poured out upon you, even in the midst of a broken world. God is watching over you. If your heart is overwhelmed, I hope these words help you to find Peace in Christ by praying Psalm One.
In Psalm one God says:
- Those who rejoice in His teachings, or law, are blessed.
- They are like trees planted by living water, who bear fruit in due season, and who’s ways prosper. Not so the wicked, they are like chaff that blows away.
- God, the living God of heaven and earth Himself watches over them in a way that He is intimately acquainted with their life,
Imagine a beautiful oak tree planted by a crisp blue, refreshing river. It’s so beautiful. So peaceful. It’s a supernatural exchange. And it’s available to you in Christ.
Watch the video below to hear more. If you’d like to jump to the meditations and prayers, you’ll find them at the end of this post
How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked,
Nor stand in the path of sinners,
Nor sit in the seat of scoffers!
But his delight is in the law of the Lord,
And in His law he meditates day and night.
He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water,
Which yields its fruit in its season
And its leaf does not wither;
And in whatever he does, he prospers.
The wicked are not so,
But they are like chaff which the wind drives away.
Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
Nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.
For the Lord knows the way of the righteous,
But the way of the wicked will perish.
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
Find peace in Christ through Meditating on Psalm One
The connection between our root system and God?s stream of life-giving truth is meditation.Pastor John Piper, DesiringGod.org.
I encourage you to take time to ask the Lord what He wants you to focus on in this Psalm. You can also ask the Holy Spirit to reveal the deep things of God to you. He is our Helper.
If you’d like to hear more about Psalm One and meditate on the word, I recommend listening to this sermon excerpt called, “Linger Long over Your Bible” by Pastor John Piper of DesiringGod.org.
Here are a couple of meditations and prayers to get you started:
- I am blessed because I delight in the Law of the Lord, not the counsel of the wicked.
- Lord give me wisdom so that I will delight in Your ways.
- I rejoice in You Lord, Good Shepherd, Your ways bring life, stability and peace to my soul.
- You do not lead me to death like the wicked, the sinner or the scoffers, I will avoid their ways.
- I am grateful that I no longer walk in the way of sinners or scoffers, Lord I delight in You. Yes I am blessed. You sustain me. You watch over me.
- How magnificent that I can delight in your word and your teachings. Or is it that your teachings, your law creates delight in me?
- Lord, you have opened my eyes to know I am blessed as I walk out your ways.
- I do not fear for I am fed by supernatural living water, refreshed daily.
- I shall be like a tree planted by rivers of water, bringing forth fruit in it’s season, my leaf does not wither.
- Because Lord You have blessed me, whatever I do will prosper.
- I am the planting of the God of heaven and earth and He sustains me with His living water, I will be fruitful.
- The Lord watches over my way. I am not hidden from His sight. He peers over the balcony of heaven to watch over me. He delights in me because His righteousness is in me.
- Lord You’ve given me Your righteousness, therefore I am never alone. You, the Creator of Heaven and Earth are intimately acquainted with my ways.
- The God who hung the stars in the sky, knows me, and calls me blessed, because I delight in His ways. Yet it’s Him who opened my eyes to see His Glory.
- You have forgiven me, Lord so I will stand with the righteous. I am sustained by Almighty God, the Living God. I will stand for You uphold me.
So to recap, we’ve read and prayed through Psalm One. You’ve learned about how delighting in the Law, or teachings of God bring joy and stability to your life.
You’ve also learned some prayers and meditations you can make your own, to strengthen you when you might feel overwhelmed by the darkness in the world, or “scoffers” that may be in your life.
When you delight in the law of the Lord, a divine exchange has happened. Your eyes and heart have been enlightened and you are blessed.
Beloved, He is intimately acquainted with your ways, watching over you, so that you are planted, like a tree firmly, with everlasting living water feeding your soul.
I pray this encourages you! Please share your thoughts and comments below.