Remembering the teachings, goodness and power of God in our lives is a powerful tool to overcome discouragement.
We remember not only to honor God, but to strengthen our hearts in the midst of trials that are sure to come. Remembering God can be a weapon of warfare. Our testimony in God is also a powerful witness to others about the glory of God, helping them to overcome discouragement as well.
The truth is, when you become a believer in Christ, you are joined with the One who has pleasures at His right hand forevermore! You receive forgiveness of sins, the gift of salvation, everlasting life and fellowship with Jesus Christ, the living God. You even receive the Holy Spirit, who lives inside you reminding you of all Christ taught and revealing the deep things of God.
Overcoming Discouragement through Spiritual Warfare
Jesus was clear that difficulties will come. Satan hates God and he hates God’s people. But we do not fear. We have been given the word of God, and His authority to equip and arm us for battle.
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realmsThe Apostle Paul writing to the church at Ephesus -Eph 6:12
Sometimes the spiritual warfare is in the form of our thoughts or feelings.
Or, it may be from people around you, even those who love you. They may not understand your new faith. They may genuinely oppose the work of God, as He renews your life. Sometimes those closest to you may insist on dragging you back into a life of brokenness and sin.
Even though you know the Lord made you a new creation in Christ, in a moment of weakness you may even feel like giving up.
Let me say this first. If you are feeling extreme discouragement, please, contact a friend in Christ. Absolutely reach out to someone who can pray with you and encourage you.
You are never alone in Christ.
In those moments of trial, it can be easy to forget all the good things Jesus has done, and fall into the trap of feeling alone, overwhelmed or even hopeless. That’s why I feel it’s so important to teach you how to harness the power of remembering God’s love, power and faithfulness. Your testimony is a powerful weapon of warfare designed to help you overcome the discouragement you are feeling.
“And they overcame him because of the blood of the Lamb and because of the word of their testimony, and they did not love their life even when faced with death.John the Apostle – Revelation 12:11 NASB
One way to easily remember is to Create a Book of Remembrance, which you can use to cultivate a practice of remembering God?s faithfulness in your life.
Having a written account of God’s faithfulness, goodness, and promises is crucial. Time after time He’s told his people to write down a record of what He’s done, to remind themselves of His faithfulness, and so that His people could teach it to generations.
It’s not my great idea, it’s a God idea. And this is what I want you to do too!
Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit,which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.The Apostle Paul teaching the church of Ephesus to stand firm in the midst of Spiritual Warfare
I?d like to give you one creative and very practical way you can protect your thought life by putting on the ?Helmet of Salvation?. Create a personal book of remembrance.
4 Tips to create your personal Book of Remembrance
The objective of your book of remembrance is to remind yourself of what Jesus has done for you, and of your identity in Christ. So that in times of weakness, when you?re discouraged, or feeling hopeless, you can go back to your book, pray and declare the truth! Remember, you can also ask a Christian friend to pray with you, as you declare all the Lord?s done.
Step One: Grab a journal and start writing!
Start with the day you were “born again”, and list out the reality of what happened in your life when you received Christ as your Savior. If you are like most people, there may have been a couple of experiences that shaped your salvation experience.
You may want to write out a declaration of your faith like:
- On, (date) I confessed, ?Lord Jesus I am a sinner in need of your salvation. Please forgive my sins, and become my Lord and Savior.? He heard my prayer and answered it.
- I believe in Jesus Christ, God the Father and the Holy Spirit
- I believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God, He died on the cross for my sins, and conquered death by raising Himself up on the third day.
- I am a temple of the Holy Spirit and He dwells within me so I am never alone.
- I believe Jesus is coming back to establish His Kingdom on earth.
- I believe because Jesus is alive, He?s also given me eternal life in Him.
Step Two: Use your Book of Remembrance to capture the building of your walk of faith.
You?ll want to include:
- Scriptures that the Lord has highlighted to you as promises.
- Whispers of the Holy Spirit that came at just the right time to lead you.
- Prayers or prophetic words you?ve received that line up with scripture.
- People the Lord has sent into into your life at just the right time.
- Transformations of your heart and life that have happened since you?ve been born again.
- Dreams you have for your life in Christ that you believe are from Him
Step Three: Use your Book of Remembrance to capture promises and prayers fulfilled.
After 10 years of walking with Christ, I still go back to prayers and encouragements I received early in my faith, to remind myself of the clues the Lord gave me in the past. Oftentimes it takes years for prayers and promises to manifest. Oh but when they do, Halellujah!
It’s so powerful to go back and see the prayers, and dreams of the past, and say, God you did it! Lord you answered that prayer. You met me in my need.
So creating a book of remembrance arms you to fight against the lies of the enemy by enabling you to say He’s delivered me before and He will do it again!
Step Four: Overcome discouragement by using your Book Of Remembrance to encourage yourself (and others) when the lies of the enemy come.
We all go through emotional ups and downs, especially in these days of uncertainty. But you my dear have an ever increasing record of God’s power and faithfulness in your hands. So when the enemy comes with lies about who you are, you can break open your book of remembrance and use it to put on your customized “Helmet of Salvation”.
Armed with the truth you can pray and say, ?NO! That?s not who I am any more. ? Then replace the lies of the enemy, with the truth of God.
Here are some truths about who you are in Christ to help you get started. Some of these are from a life transforming book called “*The Search for Significance“, which I worked through with our ladies bible study.
- I am a friend of God.
- *I am deeply loved by God
- *I am a new creation in Christ.
- *I am completely forgiven.
- He has washed me clean from every sin, therefore I am pure and spotless in His eyes.
- *I am totally accepted
- He is able to keep me from stumbling in the future.
- His word strengthens my soul.
- He has overcome death and the grave, and has given me everlasting life with Him.
For more scripture based truths on your ?Identity In Christ? check out this wonderful resource from https://joycemeyer.org/everydayanswers/ea-teachings/knowing-who-i-am-in-christ
Great job my sister in Christ. I pray your Book of Remembrance helps you to stand firm in your faith each and every day!
To recap, in this article you’ve learned how to Overcome Discouragement by Remembering:
- You are a new creation in Christ who’s sins have been forgiven, who is fully accepted in Christ and washed clean by the blood of Jesus.
- Jesus taught us that difficult times will come, even spiritual attacks.
- We do not fear because we have overcome the enemy, we have the word of God and the authority of Jesus.
- Remembering God’s faithfulness is a mighty weapon and part of the Armor of God.
- Putting on the Helmet of Salvation protects our mind and helps us to take our thoughts captive.
- Creating a Book of Remembrance enables you to quickly remind yourself of God’s faithfulness and power in your life.
How do you remind yourself of all God?s done in your life? I?d love to hear! Please share your tips and strategies below!