Welcome to the third post in our Praying the Psalms series! As we consider Psalm Three, we see a beautiful picture of how God hears prayers, and protects and encourages His people.
In Psalm three we read how King David of Israel is surrounded by enemies, and yet God is a shield for him, and God’s hand of encouragement “lifts” David’s head. God gives hope, trust and perseverance in the midst of a life shattering trial. And God is able to do this for us as well.
In this video we will look closer at Psalm Three, and I I share a bit of my testimony, the two low points in my life when I cried out to the Lord and how God answered me in my time of trial. And as always, we will end with a prayer.
I am reading from my NASB study bible, which I love. It’s the first study bible I purchased when I became a Christian, and It’s served me well for over a decade. If you’re interested, you can grab one of your own here. *affiliate link*
O Lord, how my adversaries have increased!
Many are rising up against me.
Many are saying of my soul,
“There is no deliverance for him in God.” Selah.
But You, O Lord, are a shield about me,
My glory, and the One who lifts my head.
I was crying to the Lord with my voice,
And He answered me from His holy mountain. Selah.
I lay down and slept;
I awoke, for the Lord sustains me.
I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people
Who have set themselves against me round about.
Arise, O Lord; save me, O my God!
For You have smitten all my enemies on the cheek;
You have shattered the teeth of the wicked.
Salvation belongs to the Lord;
Your blessing be upon Your people! Selah.
I encourage you to take time to read through this Psalm, pray it to the Lord and listen for His voice of encouragement. Ask the Holy Spirit to speak with you. It takes time to get used to hearing the voice of the Lord, but I promise you, it’s possible. Remember, God hears prayers!
It’s also very powerful to just encourage yourself by meditating on one or two verses that light up when you read the Psalm.
To help you get started, here are a few prayers from today’s video and meditations for you to get started:
Prayers about how God hears and protects
- Lord I pray that You would lift my head, encourage me and help me to not be overwhelmed.
- Lord I pray that You would show me Your Glory and how you are working on my behalf, even if I can’t see You.
- Lord I agree with Your word and declare by faith that My God protects me!
- Salvation belongs to the Lord and Your blessing up on Your people. So I pray Lord that your blessing would be upon me, and help me to put my trust in You.
- Lord help me to not be afraid, knowing that You awaken me and sustain me each and every day.
- Lord encounter me with Your love and give me confidence in Your power to deliver me. Remind me of how You’ve delivered me in the past.
- Lord I thank you that I am not too far away from You for You to save me.
- Lord Jesus, please save me and set my feet on solid ground.
- I am a daughter of the King, I have been saved, redeemed and made new, and I can hear His voice by the Holy Spirit inside me
- Even if my enemies surround me, are surrounded by people who are coming against you, try to remind yourself of the goodness of the Lord
- Lord, be my shield, and the lifter of my head. Lord deliver me from this trial and encourage my heart to trust in your love.
- Lord if you choose not to deliver me, then give me the strength I need to persevere through this trial in a way that is pleasing to you.
- Lord thank You that if I am in Christ, I have the assurance that You will be with me every step of the way.
- Lord you are able to transform lives, so I pray God have your way in my life, have your way in my heart.
- Lord, give me grace to surrender 100% of my life to your will.
Meditations inspired by Psalm Three
- Lord, who created heaven and earth is so near to me. God protects me and sustains me day by day.
- The Lord of Angel Armies is my shield, His power and Glory he uses on my behalf.
- You who hold the heavens in the palm of Your hand have Your eyes on me, you see when my enemies surround me, and you say to my soul, do not be afraid.
- I trust in the goodness of the Lord, therefore I will not fear.
- How wonderful that God hears prayers and protects me. He hears my voice and He answers me, and he covers me. I am safe in Him.
- He is able to help me hear His voice, therefore I will not fear.
- Be still my heart, I will not fear, I will listen for the voice of My Lord, the maker of heaven and earth.
Well my dear one, I hope that our time in Psalm three has given you some ideas on how to apply the truth of who God is to your life. He is not a God who’s far away. He is intimately involved with the lives of His people. If you’d like more encouragement about how the Lord encounters His people, check out my blog post on how I experienced a touch from the Holy Spirit.
I pray that these words help you to be encouraged knowing that if you are in Christ, He is your Shield and Helper. May the Holy Spirit draw near to you and encounter you with His Presence in a way that ignites your heart and brings peace to your spirit.
I would love to learn more about you, and how you remind yourself that God is your Strength and Helper in time of need. Please share your comments below!